Sunday, June 8, 2008

Annapolis to Cape May


I had some trepidation about making this leg of the trip. It's composed of two large bodies of water, the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays, with a skinny canal connecting them. Currents are fast and conditions can be treacherous, especially on the wide open Delaware.

Prior to leaving, I researched the trip online. Some of the information was confusing, so I thought I'd give our trip experience on a small slow boat.

The best piece of advice I can give is to hit the east end of the C&D canal at high tide. This will put you in position to ride the ebbing tide down the Delaware Bay. I'm also pretty sure that this is the right time and place to ride the ebbing tide through the canal and down the Chesapeake (although I haven't done that yet, so I can't say for sure).

Also on tides. The tide tables are tide PREDICTIONS! I consulted two tide tables which differed on predictions by as much as two hours. Use the tide tables as guides, but also observe the tides yourself and make your own predictions.

Most info I found suggested that the Delaware Bay does not have anchorages and that the trip down the bay needs to be made in a single leg. This is not true. There is an anchorage at Reedy Island, just south of the canal. We anchored in Cohansey River. It's wide and deep, with a fast current. It's surrounded by marshland. Not an ideal anchorage, but it will get you out of the Bay. Also, Back Creek is suggested by guidebooks as an anchorage. Both are half way down the bay.

Catch the tide in the morning if possible. If there are head winds, they will be lightest in the AM. Over the course of the day, the winds generally build and a head wind against the tide will create short steep waves making for a lumpy, uncomfortable ride. You'll also avoid any summertime thunderstorms.

Watch out for shipping traffic, crab pots and black flies (bring plenty of insect repellent).

Chesapeake City in the C&D Canal is a nice stop. There's a small public dock you can tie up to. There's only room for about three boats, but you can raft up, despite what the old bat on the "Ice Cream Boat" tied up to the dock says. The dockmaster told us we were fine rafted up to another boat. Docking is free. Electricity is $10. If there's no space at the dock, anchor in the basin and use the free dingy dock.

The ice cream at the small stand by the dock is good and cheap. Amy recommends the birthday cake flavor. There's nightly live music at the marina/restaurant. Thursday night they have a $5 special on frozen drinks. I'd avoid Chesapeake City on summer weekends, unless you are looking for a party and don't mind a crowded anchorage.

This guy's advice about transiting the Delaware Bay is good too. Pic is the Ferry docked in the Cape May Canal.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott -

Old nitpicker here. Just want to make it clear that you should be at the east end of the canal at *slack* tide, not high tide. You'd think they'd be the same, but they're not, and they can differ by as much as a couple of hours in some places. Be sure you're looking at the tidal current tables, not the tide tables. I know you already know this, but viewers at home will want to be careful here, especially if they're planning a trip through, for instance, Hell Gate.

Fair winds.

NautiG said...

Hey O.N.,

Thanks for the clarification. I think that my reading of high tide as synonymous with slack tide may have been the source of my confusion. The online NOAA tide predictions (see the blog links sidebar) only gives high and low tide, not slack tide.

My hard copy tide predictions give slack tide, maximum, and knots. I was reading "maximum" as when the current would be strongest, but I'm thinking maximum is high/low tide. Is this right?

I'll be sure to post my plans and timing for transiting Hell Gate before we go through. The Admiral used to live in Astoria, and I would go running in the park by Hell Gate. I'm well aware of the strength of the currents, and would welcome criticism from the peanut gallery of my planned timing of the Gate.

Scott

Anonymous said...

Scott -

I posted a reply re tide tables earlier today, but don't see it. Sorry if this is a dupe. It said:

Go to your NOAA Tides link. Mouse over Products, down to Currents, over and down to Max/Min etc., over to 2008 and click. On new page, click on New York in left column. Click on East River. Click on Predictions - Hell Gate. Scroll down to current month. This is where they hide the tidal current info. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Your hard copy sounds like a tidal current table; and if it is, you are right that "maximum" refers to max current flow, not high/low tide, but I'd have to see it to be sure. There should also be some info on ebb and flow direction.

Are you going inside to Atlantic City? The charts show a long and winding road that way. I look forward to reading about it.

ON

NautiG said...

Hey ON,

We had an a great sail up the NJ coast yesterday. The ocean was pretty calm and the wind picked up through the day so that we were doing up to 5 kts as we came into Atlantic City.

I'm crossing my fingers for similar conditions and a nice sail up to Barnegat Inlet today (about 35 mi). After that winds are predicted northerly for a couple days. We'll probably anchor for a day, and maybe go on the inside up to Manasquan.