Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I'm so Vain


Among the many exciting things I've been doing since arriving in Richmond, I've been working on turning the blog into a book.

You can read the book pdf here. It includes most of the blog posts, but none of the blog comments. Even so, it weighs in at over 200 pages. Eventually, I want to figure out how to include some or all of the comments into a version of the book, without turning it into a 1000 page epic tome.

When I'm finished editing the book, I'm going to publish it via Lulu.com. Lulu is an online, on-demand, vanity publisher. According to their website, the cost to publish a single copy of the "Captain's Blog" will be under $10, and there is no minimum order. I'm excited to order a copy and see how the quality of the printing is. It'll be pretty cool if it looks like a real book.

But one of the last things I want to do to complete the book, is to solicit recommendations to put on the back cover. You know, the blurbs that say something like, "Engrossing. Cap'n Scott is at the top of his writing game here. Distills an enormous amount of information into descriptions both portable and intriguing." (This is an actual blurb from the back cover of a book I'm holding in my hand.)

I'm sure that a ringing endorsement by a well respected celebrity like Admiral Amy, Grampa or Old Salty, is just what I need in order to turn the book into a best seller!

6 comments:

Amy said...

"A captivating story that will make you want to take your own journey into the sunset!"

"A real page turner! More twists and turns (and lost anchors and broken rudders) than a suspense novel!"

-the Admiral

Grampa said...

I started reading this tonight and couldn't put the book down until I reached page 51, and still want to go further, but it's my bedtime. Now I know what you've been doing for the last days since you visited and took the Sunbeam down to Virginia.

Good job! It reminds me of the Bill Bryson books that I have enjoyed for his stories of his travels. I'm looking forward to reading more as I have time.

"Grampa"

NautiG said...

But Grampa, you've already read the whole thing and know how the book ends.

Grampa said...

It's still an enjoyable read. I like your style.

Anonymous said...

A story about a challenge. this (mostly) solo sailor wites a fascinating tale of his intrepid catamaran cruise via the ICW to Florida and return. The adventure demonstrates how a greenhorn sailor becomes a capable seaman through the lessons of personal experience.

NautiG said...

Thanks Peter!

Amy and I are heading up to spend the weekend on the boat. I miss it, and look forward to moving it closer to Virginia next spring.